Spencerfield Spirits - Sheep Dip
Spencerfield Spirits - Sheep Dip
Sheep Dip Whisky is a small-batch, handcrafted, premium blended malt Scotch whisky. It is produced by Ian Macleod Distillers, one of Scotland's leading independent whisky companies. Sheep Dip is made from a blend of over 16 single malt whiskies from all over Scotland, including Speyside, Highland, and Islay. The whiskies are aged for at least five years in a variety of first-fill sherry, first-fill bourbon, and refill oak casks.
Sheep Dip Whisky is known for its rich, fruity flavour profile, with notes of honey, toffee, malt, and smoke. It is a smooth and approachable whisky, making it a great choice for both beginners and experienced whisky drinkers alike.
History of Sheep Dip Whisky
Sheep Dip Whisky was first launched in 1990 by Ian Macleod Distillers. The name of the whisky is inspired by the traditional practice of dipping sheep in a mixture of pesticides and fungicides to protect them from parasites and diseases.
Sheep Dip Whisky quickly gained a following among whisky drinkers for its high quality and affordable price. It is now one of the most popular blended malt whiskies in the world, and is sold in over 50 countries.
Production of Sheep Dip Whisky
Sheep Dip Whisky is produced at the Ian Macleod Distillers blender's house in Glasgow, Scotland. The blending process is overseen by master blender Keith Johnston, who has over 40 years of experience in the whisky industry.
To create Sheep Dip Whisky, Johnston blends together a variety of single malt whiskies from all over Scotland. The whiskies are selected for their complementary flavour profiles, and are blended in small batches to ensure the highest quality.
Once the whisky has been blended, it is matured in a variety of oak casks, including first-fill sherry, first-fill bourbon, and refill oak casks. The casks add additional flavour and complexity to the whisky.
After maturation, the whisky is bottled and released for sale. Sheep Dip Whisky is bottled without an age statement, but it is estimated that the average age of the whiskies in the blend is around 7 years.
Sheep Dip Whisky has a rich, fruity flavour profile, with notes of honey, toffee, malt, and smoke. It is a smooth and approachable whisky, with a medium to long finish.
On the nose, Sheep Dip Whisky is fragrant with notes of the coast, tangy, malty, honey, and toffee. On the palate, it is rich, warming, malty, young and spirity. The finish is punchy and tangy.
How to Drink Sheep Dip Whisky
Sheep Dip Whisky can be enjoyed neat, on the rocks, or in a variety of cocktails. It is a great whisky to sip on its own, or to share with friends.
Here are a few ideas for how to enjoy Sheep Dip Whisky:
- Neat: Pour a dram of Sheep Dip Whisky into a Glencairn glass and enjoy it neat. This is the best way to appreciate the full flavour and aroma of the whisky.
- On the rocks: Add a few ice cubes to a glass and pour over Sheep Dip Whisky. This will open up the whisky and make it more refreshing.
- Cocktails: Sheep Dip Whisky can be used to make a variety of cocktails, such as the Old Fashioned, the Rusty Nail, and the Rob Roy. It is also a great whisky to use in whisky sours and other sour cocktails.
Sheep Dip Whisky is a versatile whisky that can be paired with a variety of foods. It is particularly well-suited to rich and flavorful foods, such as red meat, game, and strong cheeses.
Here are a few food pairings suggestions for Sheep Dip Whisky:
- Red meat: Sheep Dip Whisky pairs well with grilled or roasted red meat, such as steak, lamb, and venison. The smoky notes in the whisky complement the flavours of the meat.
- Game: Sheep Dip Whisky is also a good pairing for game meats, such as pheasant, grouse, and rabbit. The richness of the whisky helps to balance out the gamey flavours of the meat.
- Strong cheeses: Sheep Dip Whisky pairs well with strong cheeses, such as blue cheese, cheddar cheese, and Stilton cheese. The creamy texture of the cheese helps to mellow out the whisky.
Sheep Dip Whisky is a high-quality, affordable blended malt Scotch whisky that is sure to please whisky drinkers of all levels of experience. It is a versatile whisky that can be enjoyed neat, on the rocks, or in a variety of cocktails. Sheep Dip Whisky is also a good pairing for a variety of foods, such as red meat, game, and strong cheeses.