Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions
The General Wine Company
Terms and Conditions of Business and Use
(Last updated 6th January 2022)
If you want to buy alcohol from us or use our web site you can only do so on these terms and conditions, and by registering on the web site you are agreeing to be bound by them. Although they are written in small print, we hope you will agree that they are designed to be fair to you and to us. We may change these from time to time by updating this posting. Please note, calls may be monitored and recorded for training purposes.
- Delivery - Delivery is £6.49 per delivery address regardless of how many cases you order. We will deliver your order to anywhere in the United Kingdom although there will be a slightly higher charge for deliveries to : Northern Ireland, the Highlands, Scottish islands, the Isle of Man and the Scilly Isles and the Isle of Wight. . If you order 2 or more cases, they may not be delivered at the same time, but the delivery charge will stay the same. We aim to deliver to you within 5 days. We normally deliver Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm. If you have any queries regarding delivery please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Availability - Wine is an agricultural product and runs out from time to time. If you order a case of wine and we are short of stock of any chosen products we will contact you to either offer an immediate refund for the missing items or, if we have a similar style and priced product available we will offer to replace out of stock items, but only with your approval.
- Customer satisfaction - If you are dissatisfied with our performance in any way, please contact our customer services department immediately on 01428 722201. At The General Wine Company, we aim to deal with all enquiries fairly, confidentially and quickly. We will acknowledge your contact within 24 hours. We try to resolve most issues immediately, but where this is not possible, we will keep you informed about progress until a satisfactory resolution has been achieved. We are continually improving our service, but if you have any particular ideas or suggestions about how we can improve, please send them to: email@example.com
- Right To Terminate - This Customer Promise is here for the good of all of our customers. If we feel that it has been abused, we reserve the right to close your account, by inactivating it, once we have met our obligations under this promise. If we do inactivate your account, and you choose to make another purchase, whether through that account or any other, then our obligation to you for any claim will be limited to your statutory rights and we will not be bound to deliver our full Customer Promise.
Prices and payment
- All prices are quoted in pounds sterling, and may be per bottle or per case, as marked. The prices include Value Added Tax, unless otherwise specified. Any delivery charges are additional.
- We accept payment by Switch, Visa, MasterCard, Amex and PayPal.
- Where a particular wine is part of a pre-mix case with a general discount applied, the discounted price for the case is relative to the non-discounted prices for the constituent wines.
- We reserve the right to terminate any special offer at any time, without notice.
- We won't sell alcohol to anyone who isn't 21 years old or over. Sorry, but that's our rule. By placing an order you confirm that you are at least 21 years old. If you aren’t 21 years old or older and you place an order we may even prosecute, so please don’t!
- If you are buying alcohol as a gift - the recipient must also be over 21 years old.
- If our couriers are in any doubt about the age of the recipient on delivery, they will request some form of ID. If the person receiving the order is unable to produce appropriate ID, unfortunately our couriers will be unable to leave the order.
- Sorry to have to state the obvious, but once the order has been delivered, according to your original delivery instructions, it becomes the recipient's responsibility.
- It is your responsibility to protect your password from being disclosed to any third party.
- If you have a voucher to redeem against the purchase of alcohol, the following terms and conditions apply, and you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions:
- You must be over 21 to buy alcohol.
- Vouchers are non-transferable, may not be sold at auction and have no cash alternative.
- Where a voucher is used in breach of the above conditions, The General Wine Company reserves the right to make a charge equivalent to the value of the voucher against the payment card used on the contravening order or take steps to recover the goods as it deems appropriate. A charge may be made to cover the cost of recovery of the goods.
- If some or all of the bottles of wine in a case are broken or spoiled when they are delivered you should notify us as soon as possible. You may choose either to return the whole case or just the affected bottles for a refund or replacement, if possible.
- You must notify us of all wines which are due to be returned for any of the reasons stated in this clause within 7 days from delivery of the wine.
- Any bottles collected by our carrier must be in their original box and packaged securely to avoid further breakages, where possible.
- Nothing in these Terms and Conditions will reduce your statutory rights relating to faulty or misdescribed goods. Further information about your rights is available from your Local Authority Trading Standards Department or Citizen's Advice Bureau.
Intellectual Property Rights
- You agree and acknowledge that we own or are licensed to use all copyright, database rights, trade marks and other intellectual property rights in and to all parts of this web site, and to the business of The General Wine & Liquor Ltd.
- You are entitled to use our web site in accordance with these Terms and Conditions only. You must obtain our prior written consent before you use our web site or any part of it in any other manner.
- We warrant that the wines will be of satisfactory quality and fit for their general purpose.
Limitation of liability
- Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall exclude The General Wine Company liability for personal injury or death caused by its negligence.
- We will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by us or our employees or agents in circumstances where:
- loss or damage was not foreseeable to both parties when the contract was formed;
- loss or damage was not caused by any breach on the part of the supplier;
- loss or damage relates to business and/or non-consumers.
- Alcohol should be consumed in moderation.
- A case of wine is heavy so extra care should be taken when lifting it. If you are concerned about the weight we advise that you transfer the bottles 1 or 2 at a time.
- Red wine in particular may cause staining if spilt so extra care should be taken.
- Sparkling wines and champagnes can be volatile due to the build up of gasses. Extra care should be taken when opening these.