Skip to product information
1 of 1

Compass Box Great King Street Glasgow Blend Whisky

Compass Box Great King Street Glasgow Blend Whisky

Regular price £36.99
Regular price Sale price £36.99
Sale Sold out
Taxes included.

Compass Box Glasgow Blend: A Rich and Smoky Exploration

The Compass Box Glasgow Blend, formerly known as the Great King Street Glasgow Blend, is a masterpiece in married malts. This isn't your average blended Scotch. Compass Box, known for its innovative approach to whisky blending, has crafted a unique and flavourful dram that pays homage to the historic blending houses of 19th century Scotland.

A Blend Built for Complexity

Glasgow Blend boasts a high malt content, with 67% of the whisky coming from Speyside, Highland, and Islay regions. The remaining 33% is grain whisky from Cameronbridge, adding a touch of smoothness to the robust malt character.

The magic lies in the maturation process. Compass Box uses a combination of first-fill and refill ex-bourbon barrels, first-fill Sherry casks, and a touch of new French oak. This meticulous selection coaxes out a symphony of flavours from the component whiskies.

Tasting Compass Box Glasgow Blend: A Journey for the Senses

Nose: The initial aroma is inviting, offering a rich sweetness of honey and toffee. Hints of dried fruit, like raisin and prune, peek through, hinting at the sherry influence. As the whisky opens up, a gentle smokiness emerges, mingling with warming notes of cinnamon and nutmeg.

Palate: The first sip delivers a burst of flavour. The rich malt character takes centre stage, with notes of honey, vanilla, and toasted biscuit. The sherry cask influence shines through with dried fruit flavours, adding a layer of complexity. The smokiness, subtle on the nose, builds on the palate, offering a pleasant peaty character without overwhelming the other flavours. A touch of spice from the new French oak adds a final flourish.

Finish: The finish is long and warming, leaving a lingering sweetness and a whisper of smoke. The interplay of malt, sherry, and peat creates a truly memorable experience.

Serving Suggestions:

Glasgow Blend is a versatile whisky that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways:

  • Neat: This is the best way to appreciate the full complexity of the whisky. Pour a measure into a tumbler glass and allow it to breathe for a few minutes before taking a sip.
  • With a splash of water: Adding a small amount of water can help open up the flavours and make the smokiness a touch more subtle. Experiment to find your perfect dilution.
  • On the Rocks: If you prefer your whisky chilled, serve it over ice. Be mindful that the ice will melt and dilute the whisky, so use large, slow-melting ice cubes to minimize this effect.
  • In Cocktails: Glasgow Blend's robust flavour profile makes it a great base for cocktails. Try it in a Rusty Nail, a Blood and Sand, or a smoky take on the Old Fashioned.

Food Pairing:

Glasgow Blend pairs well with a variety of foods. Its smoky character complements rich cheeses, cured meats, and grilled red meats. The sweetness also makes it a good match for smoked salmon or creamy desserts like crème brûlée.

A Modern Masterpiece with a Nod to Tradition

The Compass Box Glasgow Blend is a triumph of blending artistry. It captures the essence of classic Scotch whisky with a contemporary twist. The high malt content, innovative maturation techniques, and perfect balance of flavours make it a whisky that is both approachable and rewarding. Whether you're a seasoned whisky drinker or just starting to explore the world of Scotch, the Glasgow Blend is a dram that is sure to impress.

Looking for a truly unique and flavourful whisky experience? Look no further than the Compass Box Glasgow Blend. Visit The General Wine Co. today and explore our extensive selection of whiskies.

 

View full details