Current wines by Château Carbonneau which we stock
Château Carbonneau Séquoïa
Château Carbonneau Verrière
Château Carbonneau Classique
Château Carbonneau Lulu Rosé
Château Carbonneau Margot Sauvignon Blanc
1992 TO THE PRESENT DAY
The property was inherited by Wilfrid Franc de Ferrière, the youngest child of Jean and Olga. After obtaining his Agricultural Engineering degree in Bern, Switzerland he married Jacqueline Sinclair in 1988 in Christchurch New Zealand. They moved to Carbonneau in 1992 to run the property. It was at this stage that the replanting of the vineyard, modernisation of the winery and the restoration of the chateau began.
The property was inherited by Olga Franc de Ferrière from her parents. Jean and Olga had five children. Jean's international career as director of Alsace Potash meant that the property was run by a tenant farmer.
The property was bought by Harold and Claude Ray. Harold was a former English army officer who had emigrated to New Zealand in the early 1900's. He met his future wife Claude on a beach in Deauville during the Frist World War. Claude was the only daughter of General Jules Cheminon and Eugénie de Massalitinoff, a Russian aristocrat. Harold and Claude had one daughter, Olga Ray, born in 1925 in Kaiaua, New Zealand and who married Jean Franc de Ferrière in 1946 in Pessac sur Dordogne. During this period the property was run as a mixed farm with dairy cattle, vineyards, fruit orchards and crops.
The earliest known owner of Carbonneau dates back to 1823; his name was Jacques Fouignet-Verbacle. One of his descendants, Blanche Fougniet married Jean Jacques Bachan in 1878. Jean Jacques Bachan had been Justice of the Peace in Algeria, magistrate in France before becoming Mayor of Pessac sur Dordogne. The construction of Carbonneau as it is today began around 1860 and was completed by the addition of the magnificent Napoleon III conservatory. Jean Jacques Bachan and his wife had no children and after his death the property was sold.
'Carbonneau' takes its name from charcoal production probably in the Middle Ages. The region must have been covered with oak forests that were gradually replaced by different crops including vines. There are also vestiges of prehistoric and roman life.